Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Sparks' Album Discussion  ~  Xizi She Knows discussion thread

Miel
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
L.D.M. wrote:
I'd have to say that Minds Without Fear is by far my favorite Heapsong (I think it counts as one...). It's so energetic and fun. Xizi Knows is probably tied with Lifeline for second.

I don't think these heapsongs (with the possible exception of Neglected Space) are really any different than what she was doing on Ellipse, stylistically speaking. If any one of these songs was put in the middle of Ellipse, no one would have batted an eyelash. It's because she's releasing every song as individual singles that so much emphasis is put on every song. Not every song will be the best on the album -- but since they're released as they're made, it seems people expect each one to be.

Think of it this way: If The Fire or maybe Between Sheets were released not in the middle of the album, but as their own big singles, would people have complained that she's not what she used to be? Probably. I think that Propeller Seeds (similar to Between Sheets in my opinion) and even Neglected Space will sound just fine when placed in the middle of her next great album.

I'm pretty sure, when all the songs are compiled together, they'll sound nice, but I won't say for sure. I'm pretty sure they do sound funky because all the experimental songs are being released individually. I'll admit they do sound kind of funky individually, but (as I said) I'm sure there'll be a flow when they're all together.

JESUS IS THE NEW BLACK, AUU
FamilyValues
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I actually like it; go figure. But does she ever make her music available in the states? When will we be able to buy it?

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
FamilyValues wrote:
I actually like it; go figure. But does she ever make her music available in the states? When will we be able to buy it?

Um, right now? Very Happy

sometimes they go and they never come back again
Lil_G135
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
Hmmmmmmmm...... Smile

Well I love the energy, the lyrics and the vocals (Whoever said it reminded them of 'frou frou' is not wrong; however I hear hints of SFY and Ellipse in there as well - I suppose this is just 'Heap's voice' Smile).

I like the chanting and the music personally, and overall this is definitely 'up there' on my Heapsongs list. Dunno where yet... Lifeline is still my favorite, but this is a really really good and solid track, imo. On a full album, I believe this would be one of those standout tracks that'd grab my attention first. Would love an instrumental version.

If there's one thing I'd change is the slow beginning. I may just make myself a "short intro" version, starting at like :34 so I can jump right at the spot I keep fast-forwarding to xP

Slightly offtopic, but the heapsongs in general....I've been listening to all of them together and I dunno, Xizi has really brought something to the others so far. Propeller Seeds has grown on me more now than it has ever over these past months, and playing Xizi just before Neglected Spaces for some reason has really given the beginning more energy than I had originally perceived. I can't explain it, but I like it. I'm excited. It's really breathed life into the rest of them and I can't wait for more.

Another thing -- I was thinking about the future title for this album, something other than my beloved "The Heapsongs" (so original, I know). And then I thought 'Hey, maybe it's time for another anagram!' Anyone up for "Heapsongs" rearranged? Might take some creativity to work... Razz
Hitch
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Just heard Xizi earlier today (it had slipped my mind after it wasn't released on Monday), and I love it! I agree with what some others have said, on first and second listen I grinned and practically yelled "It's Speak For Yourself!" I feel a SFY feel overall but I definitely feel the influence of her more "organic" music from Ellipse.

The video is beautiful, I think it perfectly suits the song's celebratory vibe. I've been really excited about the heapsongs and they haven't let me down at all. I'm not sure I could call favourites on any of them though, because for instance while Propeller Seeds isn't my favourite, it's grown on me and I can recognize the genius in its focus.

I also love that Immi's had such great world experience with this album so far, rather than being shut in a studio! The pace of song releases has been great, and every time there's another one I invariably end up finding 'Imogen Heap' on my iPod, hitting All Songs, then shuffle and bask for a couple hours.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Hitch wrote:
I agree with what some others have said, on first and second listen I grinned and practically yelled "It's Speak For Yourself!" I feel a SFY feel overall but I definitely feel the influence of her more "organic" music from Ellipse.

I agree! I think it's a great blend of organic and electronic. The song been stuck in my head for days.
AutomaticTLC
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
Happy to see such differing opinions on the track! As with all of the other Heapsongs, I posted a little review up on my blog. I included a little bit that is described in this thread as well (and mentioned the iBabbler discussion going on here!) A relief I'm not the only person with these kinds of feelings.

Kelly took the time to leave a little comment on the article as well.

I enjoy the song though. It's been on repeat for the last few days. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Senescence
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
thanks for the review, it was very interesting to read !
i didnt try to listen again to the song cause i'm too disappointed ...

i'm so disappointed with those heapsongs that i think i'm gonna step back from her work for a while and i'll see, maybe when its released as a full album, i'll like it ... HOPEFULLY !
it makes me so sad when i think that i never want to listen to them ... that i couldnt even listen to the whole neglected space once ...
when i remember how i was addicted to her albums, it makes me really truly sad that i dont click with anything in those songs ...
i'm gonna close the french website and forget about immi for a while ...
and i hope i fall in love again later in this life ...

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
You should listen to them a few times before deciding, and all the way through! ;P Neglected Space can grow on you (and the end is the best part !)

I like to listen from my laptop speakers, stereo speakers, headphones, and in my car before I can really get a feel of the songs.
Chaul
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I like this from the first listening and it makes me want to see the documentary. It has a nice drive to it with exotic elements. However, I have just only listened to the video, but will buy a copy a little later. Funny how a song that is 4:44 long can seem so short.

Edit: Thanks, Immi, I've now managed to make at least one Chinese person currently living abroad homesick by making her watch the music video. Smile
Ambrosia
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
Dear Immi,

Very Happy Wow!

You are such an inspiration, and Xizi is absolutely phenomenal, both the lovely song and the incredible video. It is a masterpiece: I'm overwhelmed by the creativity and the attention to detail; just marvelous and breathtaking, and I'm listening (and watching) over and over. The lyrics, the voices used as percussion and spirit, the ancient/modern juxtaposition, the cultural threads woven all the way through -- Really loving it. Wonderful job!

In fact, I'm tremendously impressed by all of the Heapsongs so far, very much, and cannot wait to discover what the next one will be. They keep rolling out one by one, to my impatient delight, each one a gem, and in time will make up an entire magical album which I'll cherish to the stars as I do your other work.

The direction you are taking is uncharted territory and highly exciting; yet another incarnation of Imogen the artist and uniquely gifted individual I have come to admire deeply and enjoy following. You are and will remain "like no other" and "pretty damn good as you are."

Thank you for being you and sharing your gifts with the world. Thank you for challenging yourself, thank you for your hard work, and thank you for the high regard in which you have always held your fans. Keep up the good work.

We adore you.

Cheers and hugs,

Ambrosia

Rolling Eyes P.S. Remember that you can't please everyone, and you should not try. Keep on following your instinct, your heart and your dreams. They will not fail you. I for one will happily follow along, waiting in wonder and expectation to see what glorious thing you will come up with next.
Ambrosia
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
Lil_G135 wrote:

<snip>

Another thing -- I was thinking about the future title for this album, something other than my beloved "The Heapsongs" (so original, I know). And then I thought 'Hey, maybe it's time for another anagram!' Anyone up for "Heapsongs" rearranged? Might take some creativity to work... Razz

Cute idea!

LOL: Shoe Pangs, G. Sans Hope, Goshen Spa, O Sash Pong, er....

Confused Okay, maybe someone else should try their hand at it.
Chaul
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Hang Pesos, Hang Posse, Hags Pones, Sang Hopes, Gasp Shone, A Pens Gosh, Nag She Ops, Has Pegs No, Ash Pens Go, Snap She Go

Anyways, this song is my favorite so far. I can also relay thanks for the work on the video that goes with the song from someone who's originally from somewhat near the area. The video is very well edited, full of action and it includes all genuine ordinary people from the area, touching. It has all the elements of making a person homesick and everyone else wanting to visit China. Easily a favorite.
AshesBorn
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone explain the meaning of the song title? Is it a wordplay of some sorts? Question
unfolias
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
AshesBorn wrote:
Can anyone explain the meaning of the song title? Is it a wordplay of some sorts? Question

i just know that Xizi is a Chinese God, that used to be the most beautiful woman around. sry if i'm wrong, but Immi explained it in some video that i can't remember

edit: here is some info about Xizi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xi_Shi