Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Sparks' Album Discussion  ~  Heapsong#2

DavidB
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote
There's a teasing bit of info on Heapsong#2 here:

http://www.themusicfix.co.uk/content/news-flash/14520/imogen-heap-is-exploring-the-third-dimension.html
Cutieemusic1996
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I have problems when I'm going to upload a photo on the HeapSong #2 Microsite.
The "Submit" button disappears when the photo is uploaded.

"@MajaNilsson1996 Congrats on finishing "covered in white'. A lovely song w/some good twists/turns. YOUR voice sounds nice on it Smile x

@MajaNilsson1996 - though you've done great work, I won't be singing or playing on it though. Sorry. Lots of love.
"

http://soundcloud.com/majanilsson/covered-in-white
lovehound
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Cutieemusic1996 wrote:

which browser are you using? i noticed using firefox i couldn't see the "terms and conditions" box, but could with IE.

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
lovehound wrote:
Cutieemusic1996 wrote:

which browser are you using? i noticed using firefox i couldn't see the "terms and conditions" box, but could with IE.

I'm using internet explorer , but I don't know which version.

"@MajaNilsson1996 Congrats on finishing "covered in white'. A lovely song w/some good twists/turns. YOUR voice sounds nice on it Smile x

@MajaNilsson1996 - though you've done great work, I won't be singing or playing on it though. Sorry. Lots of love.
"

http://soundcloud.com/majanilsson/covered-in-white
L.D.M.
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been able to keep up on this project this time around -- where do we download the 3DiCD?
JACellist
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
The 3DiCD isn't available for download yet. Imogen mentioned it in her Monday webcast, but it sounded like it hadn't been started yet. I don't think we'll be able to download it before the track is released, but I could be wrong.

You haven't missed a whole lot information wise. If you want to catch up you should skim Immi's twitter and watch the two webcasts on ustream. The second one includes a small snippet of heapsong2 (which might be called "propeller seeds") so it's worth the watch.

Also, there are some cool sounds that Nick Ryan has recorded on the heapsong2 soundcloud that are worth checking out. Make sure you use heaphones when you listen to them.
Senescence
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
I didn't follow this project at all ... it was just too much information ...
I listened to the song in her webcast tho ... and it was actually really boring ... maybe i'll like it when i hear it in HQ in my earphones ... but i'm not excited at all this time ...

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
I agree! Like Lifeline, It just sounds unfinished.. There aren't enough recurring motifs/layers in it, to make it completely enjoyable. I know what she is trying to do, with the whole '3D sound', but I reckon she should just bring it back to basics with the music and forget the gimmicks. Lifeline, Propeller Seeds doesn't top anything from Ellipse, but 10 songs to go, I'm hoping the magic will return.

I'm not sure the whole idea of 2 week stints every 3 months really gets her into the zone when songwriting. It's tough, but when you're locked away people really do produce their best work. I'm hoping by the time she has produced 12 songs, she will lock herself away for a month and try her best to really really polish everything up.

http://www.last.fm/user/Joekingjoe123
http://www.twitter.com/joeisstrange
http://www.facebook.com/JosephStrange
Senescence
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
mmmh she definitely needs to take her time ...
i don't like those "challenges" ... that she gives herself ... she doesn't have anything to prove anymore (except to herself maybe) ... she's talented, she's super creative, she's famous ...

i listened to this song again and it made me feel really sad ... cause that's not one of her creations it's one of "i want to better and better" project ... and it's pretty empty of emotions and sense ...

even the lyrics ... usually i really enjoy english lyrics cause as english is not my mother language, i don't really get when lyrics are bad Laughing

but this time, what i hear is totally cheesy and sketchy ...

bahh , i'll wait for the next song

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Jun 2007 Posts: 501 Location: somewhere in the central line.
yeah, I'm not feeling this either... *sighs* *goes away*

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
This. Is. Amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Senescence
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Ok ... the music video is super cute ...

The music is incredibly boring ! But with the video it's really cute !

NEEEEEEEEXT song please ! Very Happy

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I think Propeller Seeds (heapsong2) is haunting and a wonderful piece of work. As Immi said the video was done on a shoe string as as turned out wonderful.

A lot of the negatives seems like green eyed comments as its all about her new love Thomas,

For me I think its got wonderful lyrics and fantastic music. My only hope is that. as in the lyrics it comes to wedding rings and children. Immi deserves some happiness in her love life and I really really hope this is the man for her to spread roots from her feet and settle down and start a family with the man she loves and the man who loves her.
Im sure alot of men (or boys it seems) dreamed of Immi falling in love with them... It isnt going to happen folks to us mere mortals im afraid hehe

Miel
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
Goddamn, I like it!

It's very off-linear. And the video is very nice! Little hints of subtle surrealism, I like!

JESUS IS THE NEW BLACK, AUU
DavidB
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I love the song itself. The 3D sound effects work better than I expected, but the song doesn't really need them and I'd like a version without them. especially to play on speakers.
Senescence
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
yeah, i hope she makes a pure version of the song, without all those noises ...
i'm sure i'd like it better as a real song ...

oh and i didn't see the very last moment of the video ...SO CHEESY ahaha it even made me laugh !

i hope she doesn't stay this state of mind ... i prefered her sad and heartbroken !
Give me back the speak for yourself immi ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
that's just mean...
I do love the speak for yourself era music [including b sides and cumulus]
but I guess she changed as much as she did between I megaphone and frou frou...

I really really love the video
the song has to grow on me, but lifeline still hasn't grow on me
it's sad Sad i don't want immis music to be irrelevant for me Sad Sad Sad Sad

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Review is up! http://2020k.wordpress.com/2011/07/09/track-review-imogen-heap-propeller-seeds/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
slowdive1
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Anybody having trouble with importing the Apple Lossless into iTunes? It works fine in iTunes on my PC but for some reason it won't import into my Mac's iTunes. Seems to work in Quicktime though. I've already contacted SoundGlue and they're working on it but I have a feeling the issue lies with iTunes... Mad
allflavors
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm really sad, imogen is one of the very few artist capable of making a whole piece of art, going from exquisite music to brilliant/clever lyrics, but this last two songs are lacking of emotion and not to mention sense, is not that we are jealous or envious as mention above cause she is in love, thats great, but the two week period, put a lot of pressure on her and end up with very random songs. If she wont give us songs in the next two years thats ok, she will end up topping and excelling ellipse and s4y but stop with this its making a lot of fans sad
xelwooodx
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I really will support her in every step she makes, and I'm happy she's trying to live her life... but I rather not have any music in 3 years as you already said, that have an "ok" song every 3 months...

her music was (is) SO amazing, and she has the talent... she just needs to want to take the time, i LOVE LOVE LOVE that she's trying something new though... but she could make it even MORE perfect if she takes the time Sad

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
a moment aside i would like to know if someone has the accurate lyrics for propeller seeds?

back on topic, i really dont think that for ellipse she wrote 1 song every three months, i think she work on each everytime she thought she needed to and modify the things she didnt like, i think that this are sort of demos and if she would have more time, she would have done magic with a 3d sound i mean is Imogen Freaking Heap we are talking about. Sad
Miel
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
Did she have less time with this than Lifeline? More time?

It seems very concept-based, though. It's a bit off-putting at first but, as many said, it's a grower. It took me a while to get past the sounds (which I think are a nice detail) tot he song itself.

I guess it's kind of odd; the first listen I viewed the sounds as something separate; therefore, everything seemed convoluted. The second time, though, I viewed it as a whole and everything felt more right.

yummytea
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
xelwooodx wrote:
I really will support her in every step she makes, and I'm happy she's trying to live her life... but I rather not have any music in 3 years as you already said, that have an "ok" song every 3 months...

her music was (is) SO amazing, and she has the talent... she just needs to want to take the time, i LOVE LOVE LOVE that she's trying something new though... but she could make it even MORE perfect if she takes the time Sad

I agree!

“At the end of the day, it’s just at the price of a cup of tea – and it lasts you a lifetime. You know, a cup of tea goes and it comes out at the other end by the end of the day, but a piece of music stays with you for the whole of your life!”
JACellist
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
allflavors wrote:
a moment aside i would like to know if someone has the accurate lyrics for propeller seeds?(

I believe these are correct:
Quote:
Propeller seeds,
corridor scene
talk on, walk out
It took me a minute,
my mind was on other things
Oh, but you got me at “Paris”
I must be coming down with
something to be thinking this

What’s happening here?
I’m growing roots through my toes!
And leaves from my fingertips, unfurl.
Where does this story go?

(queue, food, drink up, continue)
We float in tandem,
past name tags and shaking hands
immune to the hubbub of others.
We’re deep in discussion
the party’s on mute.
Our bubble’s got it covered.
You want me? Well, you’ve got me.
It doesn’t have to be today.
I can’t believe I said that out loud.

What’s happening here?
I’m growing roots through my toes
and there are leaves from my fingertips, unfurling.
What does this story know?

Wedding rings and children
Are all the good ones taken?
Rickshaw, disco, goodnight kiss
oh, cold shower
calm me for sweet dreams of him
Where does this story go?
What does this story know?
What does this story hold
for us?

I'm curious, what do you guys think about the massive fan collaboration that is happening with the songs? Do you think it's creating a positive or negative impact on the development of the songs? No impact at all is an option as well.
Miel
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh, thanks for the lyrics!

As for the question, I think it brings in both a more negative and positive impact. I think, altogether the songs are very amalgamated, with so many different sounds from so many people.

From a negative standpoint it seems convoluted, messy, like it's just drowning the song.

From a positive standpoint I think it's very conceptual and experimental, and that it gives Imogen a more open canvas to work her music on. Plus, sometimes everything adds right and adds an extreme dept to the song.

Just my opinion Smile

allflavors
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:28 am Reply with quote
This has been hard, i am not a patronizing people since im so critical on everything, and i did not want to be a dilutional fan that like everything from the artist just because, but, with the lyrics and a couple more plays im glad to said it has grown Very Happy

btw i love that in gender it has "Like No Other" hahahhahaha most def she is right lol
AvantGuy
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:59 am Reply with quote
allflavors wrote:
...btw i love that in gender it has "Like No Other" hahahhahaha most def she is right lol

That reminds me of a favourite way to describe a neighborhood in Chicago where I once lived (NewTown/LincolnPark):
    Around here there are three genders -- male, female, and convertible.

--AvantGuy :--)
DavidB
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Having listened to it a lot more, I think the song itself is lovely, if not one of her very best. I still don't find the 3D sound adds very much to it, and it is sometimes obtrusive. Also, with all due respect to Nick Ryan, I don't get anything I would call a 3D effect - or even 2D! The sounds can be placed on a side-to-side (left-right) dimension, but I don't get much sense of a front-to-back dimension, or an up-down dimension. For example, when the 'roots' grow out of Immi's feet, one might expect the sounds to appear to come from below, but they don't, at least to my perception. I'm not even sure if it is theoretically possible to get a sense of three dimensions from stereo sound. Admittedly, we only have two ears, and we can still tell whether sounds are above or below us, etc, but in doing so we have a lot of non-auditory clues. E.g. we know that birds are likely to be flying above us, not under the ground! But maybe the fault is in my ears, or in my lousy stereo equipment. I'd be interested to know if anyone else gets a genuine 3D experience.
unfolias
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
of course, everyone is entitled to have their opinion. but i can't see why Lifeline isn't good? it's a perfect song and i love the sounds she used on it. it puts me on a good mood! and propeller seeds is a grower because it's not a catchy song like the ones on Speak For Yourself.

So Immi: please continue, i loved Ellipse and i'm loving the heapsongs.