Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Speak For Yourself' Discussion  ~  My Hide And Seek Reaction

twkadventures
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
First, hello everyone, first time posting here - nice to see such a cool group of dedicated fans, with etiquette and intelligence to boot.

Second, I think Immi needs to get a new boyfriend (imagine large Warner Bros cartoon arrows pointing at me); just one plane ticket and boom, I could supply a lifetime of angst and inspiration (and sexy male voice samples)- ah but seriously:

Had never heard of Imogen Heap, happened upon her album at Best Buy (an electronics store for those of you not familiar) and bought it – I'm a musician myself, and the back of the CD said "written & produced" and that was the hook, for me- it's one thing to have a great voice, quite another to know how to use it and the instruments that embellish it.

I always skip-play an album at first, in other words, I listen to the first twenty seconds and move on to the next song, to determine if the artist is consistently good or if it’s just filler for a one-hit wonder. I liked what I heard much, but when “Hide And Seek” began, my finger hovered above the skip button on my iPod, then my hand fell slowly to my side, and I leaned back in my chair; transfixed. Before I realized it, I found myself in tears- and I just don't do that sort of thing. And so you see, this is how I know the song is about loss of some sort (even if loss of furniture: “crop circles in carpet”) – what a powerfully evocative voice she has. Love her talent. Love it.

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
twkadventures wrote:
First, hello everyone, first time posting here - nice to see such a cool group of dedicated fans, with etiquette and intelligence to boot.

Second, I think Immi needs to get a new boyfriend (imagine large Warner Bros cartoon arrows pointing at me); just one plane ticket and boom, I could supply a lifetime of angst and inspiration (and sexy male voice samples)- ah but seriously:

Had never heard of Imogen Heap, happened upon her album at Best Buy (an electronics store for those of you not familiar) and bought it – I'm a musician myself, and the back of the CD said "written & produced" and that was the hook, for me- it's one thing to have a great voice, quite another to know how to use it and the instruments that embellish it.

I always skip-play an album at first, in other words, I listen to the first twenty seconds and move on to the next song, to determine if the artist is consistently good or if it’s just filler for a one-hit wonder. I liked what I heard much, but when “Hide And Seek” began, my finger hovered above the skip button on my iPod, then my hand fell slowly to my side, and I leaned back in my chair; transfixed. Before I realized it, I found myself in tears- and I just don't do that sort of thing. And so you see, this is how I know the song is about loss of some sort (even if loss of furniture: “crop circles in carpet”) – what a powerfully evocative voice she has. Love her talent. Love it.

First of all welcome to ibabble, we are a friendly bunch so get stuck right in Smile - So welcome!

As for Immi and a New Boyfriend, I doubt that Richie, her current boyfriend would be too pleased about that. But I also think that there is a waiting list [I'm not on the list but I have a feeling that many fellow male ibabblers are on it]

I've never really heard of someone buying an album based upon seeing that it was written and produced by the artist.. but then again I can understand why that may have grabbed your attention. These days you don't get many of those sort of artist coming up, and actually knowing EVERY part of what they do.

As I was reading about the way you, "test" an album, I just KNEW that you were going to stop or say something about Hide and Seek. It seems to be the song that grabs most people by the body and gives a good shake or two.. Or even a slap if need be. It's such an amazing song. It's what got me the first time around, although now I've moved onto some of her other songs. But its fantastic to hear that you have been so emotionally and deeply moved by the song.

Glad you have joined us Immi fans, and welcome again to ibabble.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
twkadventures
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks friend, appreciate the welcome.

Yes well, I don't often make it a habit to buy a CD song-unheard, but I'm a sucker for novels by first-time authors and music self-written/produced, because I'm also a writer/musician, and I know the great amount of work that goes into composing (in either genre). I've bought a few coasters before, but for the most part, I seem to have a penchant for purchasing up-and-comers (in the day; Tori Amos, Sara McLachlan, etc) whose popularity explodes shortly thereafter. I'm some sort of portent, I guess. Just so Immi knows what to expect. Wink

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
MySpace Housekeeper Joined: 23 Jul 2004 Posts: 3441 Location: on the train to crazytown
bobakey wrote:

First of all welcome to ibabble, we are a friendly bunch so get stuck right in Smile - So welcome!

Evil or Very Mad Speak for yourself.

www.tiffelie.com/blog
www.twitter.com/tiffelie
Pepe
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Don't mind Tiff, she pretends to be scary, but she's actually very sweet.

And ticklish!
TiFF
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
MySpace Housekeeper Joined: 23 Jul 2004 Posts: 3441 Location: on the train to crazytown
FEH!

Who the heezy are you?

www.tiffelie.com/blog
www.twitter.com/tiffelie
Pepe
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Heezy Hey!

It's me- Chris! How you doing today?
TiFF
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Chris.... Chris... Chris...

Do I know a Chris?

www.tiffelie.com/blog
www.twitter.com/tiffelie
Pepe
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote
It's me!

Chris! With a "C"!
SYN
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
TiFF wrote:
Chris.... Chris... Chris...

Do I know a Chris?

All that liquor will catch up with you, dear. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Quote:
Yes well, I don't often make it a habit to buy a CD song-unheard, but I'm a sucker for novels by first-time authors and music self-written/produced, because I'm also a writer/musician, and I know the great amount of work that goes into composing (in either genre). I've bought a few coasters before, but for the most part, I seem to have a penchant for purchasing up-and-comers (in the day; Tori Amos, Sara McLachlan, etc) whose popularity explodes shortly thereafter. I'm some sort of portent, I guess. Just so Immi knows what to expect.

Yeah........ People won't know how hard it is until they do it, too....

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
twkadventures wrote:

Welcome jeff (don't know if your called jeff, but were i come from, we call people we dont know jeff..trev..pete, hay sometime we call each other francis...but thats not for this section of the dicusion board if know wat i mean Wink.)

Ahh good old tiff (a word of advice, watch out for her poker...best keep ya back to the wall, never know when she might strike!)

I just dont know what it is, but ive got Norways Alvedansen by Christine Gulbrandsen stuck in my head...strange...odd even. *hums away*

Se ya around mate!
TiFF
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh Trev, your new avatar is so.... hot poker inviting. How you tease me so.

www.tiffelie.com/blog
www.twitter.com/tiffelie
twkadventures
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:11 am Reply with quote
Oh no, and I've been told I've got a good poker face. <hiding behind thick, poker-resistant glasses>

I like the name Jeff, but it's actually Tom, though I'll answer to whatever if there's good news, money, food or a gift on the other end.

My bid for sympathy: my piano was being moved and fell off the truck, with the keys embedded nearly a foot in fertile soil; looked like some giant monster who bit off more than he could chew. Now I have nothing to play for weeks until the repair work is done. Need an outlet.

Anyone have a poker I could borrow? I hear with proper use it's rather cathartic.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:

This is true with about anything, but especially so the creative arts; so Amen, I say.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:55 am Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Mar 2005 Posts: 1205 Location: no longer in the Land of OZ... that's all that matters
TIFF dear, that's what happens when you celebrate too much after college graduation.... CONGRATS by the way! Wink

Twk... welcome welcome! Glad to have you here. Very Happy

TiFF
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote
FEH!

I am not a drunkard and don't hit the sauce as much as you all believe. How would I be able to operate heavy machinery, and axes??

And I still have no idea who this Chris fellow is.

www.tiffelie.com/blog
www.twitter.com/tiffelie
SYN
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
twkadventures wrote:
Quote:

This is true with about anything, but especially so the creative arts; so Amen, I say.

"How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop" they always say. It's not that hard for me anymore I guess.

Quote:
FEH!

I am not a drunkard and don't hit the sauce as much as you all believe. How would I be able to operate heavy machinery, and axes??

*points* She's obviously an ANGRY drunk!

Really though, colree was right....... You should be drunk after graduating.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Nov 2005 Posts: 3308 Location: Oshawa ,Ontario ,Canada
SYN wrote:
twkadventures wrote:
Quote:

"How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop" they always say. It's not that hard for me anymore I guess.

Quote:
FEH!

*points* She's obviously an ANGRY drunk!

Really though, colree was right....... You should be drunk after graduating.

Laughing Laughing Funny and Gnarly ...
Gotta Love It !!

Welcome to the normally friendly boards there "twkadventures"
Very Happy

"No response on any level, Red alert, this vessel's under siege. Total overload, All systems down, they've got control. There's no way out. We are surrounded. Give In give in, And relish every minute of it."
Pepe
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Hi Tom! Would I be right in assuming that W and K are also initials?

I know what you mean about skipping a lot of songs. When I was young you got albums on cassette, and you listened to the songs in the order they were put on the album. With CD's, there is too great a temptation to skip past songs you might not immediately like, and then you just continue to skip past them for ever more.

There is an album by a group called Pulp, where the last track has the last note go on for like 8 minutes, with even longer a silence after it, just to annoy people who put their CDs on "shuffle".

On a side note (for the benefit of Tiff), just in case I haven't introduced myself properly elsewhere;

My name is Chris, I live in the north of England- a place called Harrogate- and I first became properly aware of Immi via Shrek 2- that got me on to Details, to SFY and beyond!

I was lucky enough to meet her in York at the beginning of April after an amazing gig!

Sorry to hijack your thread Tom, Tiff- did you get a PM from me the other week?
PinkTwinkSprite
Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone! I'm also a brand new poster! I was just replying to this thread to see if anyone has heard "Hide & Seek" at Abercrombie latley? I was in the adult store (Abercrombie & Fitch) today with a few friends and heard a techno-ish remix of "Hide & Seek"! Not as good as the original, but a good remix for a dance club.