Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Sparks' Album Discussion  ~  Neglected Space?

FamilyValues
Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Did Imogen ever give a reason for not involving fans in the production process with this song like she did with the last two? And by "production process" I mean allowing fans to listen to bits as she produced it, not photo submissions, etc.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Not directly, if there ever was any specific reason. She did say earlier that she tries not to do the exact same thing twice. She did involve the fans, only a little less than with the first song.

I did send a photo for heapsong3 too. There was even a photo wall but the submission period was open for less than 2 days. No sneak peeks to work in progress this time though, I don't think.
Miel
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think the process for this one is a bit more inside.

JESUS IS THE NEW BLACK, AUU
balexander907
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Soooo.... when's it going to be out? She said today.
AshesBorn
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quote
Yeah.. when is it coming out? Wasn't it supposed to come out yesterday? Confused
unfolias
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Immi's tweet:
New songs #Neglected_Space and #minds_without_fear both out this Sunday on imogenheap.com (+ @3DiCD +game +2 new videos +making of! Very Happy xx

Game? Can someone fill me up?
xelwooodx
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Jun 2007 Posts: 501 Location: somewhere in the central line.
whoa, the song is SO great! this sounds like s4y lyrics with her new style, I can't get over how beautiful the song is! so poetic.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
xelwooodx wrote:
whoa, the song is SO great! this sounds like s4y lyrics with her new style, I can't get over how beautiful the song is! so poetic.

1: that is the cutest picture ever that you have. haha. you're so fortunate to have met her! that is my life dream. still haven't gotten the chance.
2: i'm guessing you were at the release party???
michaelmaclauchlan
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
http://effyeahimogenheap.tumblr.com/

I like 'Neglected Space' The space reminds you of your current/former use and ones cause for its original creation (we were its author). The song is a 'call to arms' for our restorative attention. It's an interesting perspective: an inanimate object raising our consciousness about the space's downfall via entropy.

Well done, it's a poetic reflection quite Patty Smith like....

M
balexander907
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
she has both songs up on her site now to buy. are we not getting the 3DiCD package option this time?
Senescence
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
neglected space is was like ..."what the fuck is this SF vocals"

ahaha

and i was waiting for the song to actually start until ... the end !

ok, waiting for the next one

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
balexander907 wrote:
xelwooodx wrote:

1: that is the cutest picture ever that you have. haha. you're so fortunate to have met her! that is my life dream. still haven't gotten the chance.
2: i'm guessing you were at the release party???

Hahaha thanks!, no, the picture was taken almost a year ago, in the royal albert hall Smile

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
oh nice! and you weren't kidding- Neglected Space is amazing. it really is.
FamilyValues
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:47 am Reply with quote
The new song is actually pretty damn good, especially the "breakdown" part. She should put out an extended version that stretches out that part.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:49 am Reply with quote
Love it. That happens when fans don't ruin it all, just like Tidal.
balexander907
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:36 am Reply with quote
weren't the 3DiCDs supposed to have been released today? Sad
shh
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:24 am Reply with quote
amazing song. I will like to see the video

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
I just pray for no more fan interaction with the music, everything else is fine

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
My first reaction to Neglected Space wasn't exactly 'WTF??', but that's probably just because Immi's blogs had given some indication of how it was going, including the 'spoken voice' aspect.

On first hearing it's difficult to grasp just how much beautiful music there is in the piece. Each re-hearing reveals new details. And I love that line about a ballet of leaves pirouetting in a doorway - such a lovely image.

Of course it's not the kind of song one would traditionally release as a 'single', which is a hazard of Immi's approach of releasing each new track as it is recorded. I think NS will sound even better when it is 'bedded down' somehere in the middle of an album. I have tried it in a little playlist with Lifeline and Propeller Seeds, and I find it very effective next to Propeller Seeds: it enhances both songs.

Viewers of 'Yes, Minister' will remember that whenever Jim Hacker wanted to do something especially rash, Sir Humphrey would say 'that's a very brave decision, Minister'. In this sense I suppose releasing a (mainly) spoken-word song is 'brave'! I can't think of many well-known singers who have done it. Bob Dylan did it on an album track called If Dogs Run Free, and David Bowie has also done a few, including this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdQnb8YW5nA So at least there are a few respectable precedents. [Added: just remembered Bob Dylan also did spoken voice on 'Three Angels', on his 'New Morning' album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec6k2NxM1SE ]

Last edited by DavidB on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
FamilyValues
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
crispatfre wrote:
Love it. That happens when fans don't ruin it all, just like Tidal.

This. The antidote for her is to leave fans completely out of the loop while producing songs. Neglected Space is easily the best material she's put out since SFY.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
immi worked tirelessly on Tidal and it shows - that's why I consider it golden.

I don't think whether fans interacting is what makes or breaks a song. All the previous heapsongs have gotten mixed ratings, and Neglected Space is no exception. Some people really dig it, some downright loathe it, and some just don't know what to make of it yet Razz

Personally, I rank the heapsongs HS1, HS4=HS3, HS2 so far, and I go by what the concept is, how well it was executed (imo), and how I overall just like it.
I love the lyrics in NS and the music has really exciting moments. MWF is very listenable and gets stuck in my head often(I woke up today with it in my head!). They had the least amount of fan interaction, yet they're in the middle for me. Then we look at PS, who's bringing up the rear.
I like it, but it's not my favorite - it would probably never end up in my "Top 10" for immi songs -- and fans didn't have much say in that track either Smile In contrast to Lifeline, which is still holding up the lead and the fans had a field day for making suggestions and adding stuff. And this is from a person who's submissions failed to garner any attention at all xD

michaelmaclauchlan wrote:
The song is a 'call to arms' for our restorative attention. It's an interesting perspective: an inanimate object raising our consciousness about the space's downfall via entropy.

Why, doesn't that sound a bit like another immi song Wink
Ambrosia
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
DavidB wrote:
My first reaction to Neglected Space wasn't exactly 'WTF??', but that's probably just because Immi's blogs had given some indication of how it was going, including the 'spoken voice' aspect.

On first hearing it's difficult to grasp just how much beautiful music there is in the piece. Each re-hearing reveals new details. And I love that line about a ballet of leaves pirouetting in a doorway - such a lovely image.

Of course it's not the kind of song one would traditionally release as a 'single', which is a hazard of Immi's approach of releasing each new track as it is recorded. I think NS will sound even better when it is 'bedded down' somehere in the middle of an album. I have tried it in a little playlist with Lifeline and Propeller Seeds, and I find it very effective next to Propeller Seeds: it enhances both songs.

Viewers of 'Yes, Minister' will remember that whenever Jim Hacker wanted to do something especially rash, Sir Humphrey would say 'that's a very brave decision, Minister'. In this sense I suppose releasing a (mainly) spoken-word song is 'brave'! I can't think of many well-known singers who have done it. Bob Dylan did it on an album track called If Dogs Run Free, and David Bowie has also done a few, including this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdQnb8YW5nA So at least there are a few respectable precedents.

Yes, brave. She is a risk-taker deluxe.

And oh, so beautiful.

You are right, she did warn us that this one would be unconventional. You can tell she really, truly put herself into every nuance, every sound, every note. Loving NS very much, listen after listen. Pure and exalted genius.
DavidB
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I just discovered that Perez Hilton has given both Minds Without Fear and Neglected Space a good notice on his blog! Well done Perez!
Miel
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
grand piano be watchin y'all fornicate

JESUS IS THE NEW BLACK, AUU