Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Sparks' Album Discussion  ~  Heapsong#2

Ambrosia
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:46 am Reply with quote
It is a new direction, this 3-year album: Experimental songs created maniacally in intense bursts, with fans along as audience to the process as well as fringe consultants and 'collaborators.'

Her life is different now. Things do change. People change. Immi changes, as she always has. True love is a BIG change! The music created by this evolving genius will change, too. Ellipse was different from Speak For Yourself, which was different from iMegaphone, which was different from her Frou Frou work, which was different....... you get the idea.

An evolution.

Respectfully, (because of course everyone has a perfect right to his/her own opinion) I personally could not be more fascinated and excited by this new endeavor of Immi's! I absolutely LOVE Lifeline and Propeller Seeds, and can't wait to see what she comes up with next. The "heapsongs" project is making this fan quite happy.

P.S. There are moments in Propeller Seeds when I hear a hint of TSTNW. Oh, and I adore the video, cheesy and charming and totally lovely, like Immi herself.

Off to listen to Propeller Seeds for the sixteenth time, and then maybe Lifeline for the hundredth. Peace.
Miel
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:28 am Reply with quote
^yes! Although she always has noticeable subtexts in her music throughout (as with a lot of artists), I'm glad she continuously evolves.

That's what makes a lot of artists Smile

JESUS IS THE NEW BLACK, AUU
xelwooodx
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Jun 2007 Posts: 501 Location: somewhere in the central line.
Arrow
Ambrosia wrote:
Ellipse was different from Speak For Yourself, which was different from iMegaphone

this!

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I agree, evolution is indeed fantastic, however she is now sacrificing quality, cause lets face it as said before, this doesnt top any of ellipse, as i said before she is genius and can do magic, but now cause she is doing things in a rush the lyrics are just ok, and not excellent as she always writes and for example in lifeline is just too much going and put together without all the beautiful layers she works with, i figure inspiration is not striking her and thats ok, but when she force it we get some awkward lyrics that get hard to grow, however i still belive in her and her talent and will continuing supporting Very Happy
Ambrosia
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of the first two "heapsongs" sounding less than perfect, or unfinished:

Imogen spoke of this during the Ustream broadcasts for "heapsong1" aka Lifeline. She said she loves how the accelerated and finite schedule for releasing each song forces her to work fast; the challenge and the adventure of it all is exciting. But she acknowledged that it was painful to have to release a creation without the benefit of her normally extended finishing process. (Or, as allflavors has put it, "sacrificing quality.")

She did point out that these scheduled releases will be the quick and dirty versions of each song... She intends to polish and perfect them for the final album recording. She even mentioned that some of the songs may end up sounding quite different on the album, including the lyrics.

(Sorry, don't have her words in writing to paste here, as Immi was discussing this on a live broadcast.)

It is true that to create an Immi song in two weeks from start to finish requires a "village." There are many cooks in the kitchen, as well as the masses of live observers and contributors each time. This perhaps dilutes the dose of concentrated Immi genius we are so accustomed to. But IMO it also adds a new kind of synergy which seems to energize and inspire her in a new direction.

Perhaps once all the songs are "out there," and Immi sits down alone with them to coax them into final album form, these songs might perhaps become infused with more of her high craft and singular essence that some fans seem to feel is missing at this point.

Personally, I am delighted with the first two in their present wild-child format. Undoubtedly, having closely and enthusiastically followed each step in the creation and evolution of these songs likely colors my appreciation for them. Whenever Immi has performed Lifeline live, it's been a different song each time. I do believe this experiment is still in progress, and will ultimately be a success.
Miel
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
^interesting, never thought of her mastering it for the album.

I don't know, I'd maybe want them as it is to give it the more, er, 'made with them' feel. Lifeline and PS aren't perfect, at least in comparison to Ellipse's mastering, but I think they're subtle flaws give them life. I'm excited to see how she'll delve more into it as time goes by, in terms of progressing in expertise.

JESUS IS THE NEW BLACK, AUU
DavidB
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't agree with Allflavors about Lifeline - I think it is up to the standards of the best of Ellipse and among the best of all her songs.

I still have reservations about Propeller Seeds - the more I play it, the more I want to hear it without the sound effects.
lovehound
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Ambrosia wrote:

It is true that to create an Immi song in two weeks from start to finish requires a "village." There are many cooks in the kitchen, as well as the masses of live observers and contributors each time. This perhaps dilutes the dose of concentrated Immi genius we are so accustomed to. But IMO it also adds a new kind of synergy which seems to energize and inspire her in a new direction.

it's interesting you use the word "dilutes," because for me, personally, the whole approach to the new album (so far) has been about dilution. the more people get involved, the more is taken away from the process; i understand why immi's doing it, and think she's garnering more attention and gaining a greater audience than ever before because of it, but as someone who's used to waiting with a relatively small group of fellow fans (not trying to take anything away from anyone else here; maybe there have always been this many people along for the ride and twitter just makes the numbers more transparent) for something to be born, the massive scale of it all has been disorienting and disheartening. i believe for immi now this is the right time to try it and it's the right thing to do, but it's been hard for me to be excited about and jump into. i halfway wonder if my attitude isn't sour grapes because i haven't had anything picked to be used and am therefore not among the "chosen" (someone else's word, not mine), which begs the question if that's not an inevitable outcome of soliciting fan participation; not everyone will make it into the circle, because the circle simply isn't big enough. or maybe i just liked it better when it was immi asking questions about what people liked and didn't like and it felt like it was more even and there wasn't the distinction of being chosen or not. i don't know. i do know it's not a dynamic immi's set up, and one more a by-product of human nature than intention. i'm trying not to feel small about it (and not succeeding all that well sometimes), and welcome the addition of so many into the process, but it's not grabbed me yet. regardless, i'll buy the music and stand behind her no matter what direction she sets off in, because ultimately the music is what matters, no matter how it gets made.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:39 am Reply with quote
DavidB wrote:
I don't agree with Allflavors about Lifeline - I think it is up to the standards of the best of Ellipse and among the best of all her songs.

I still have reservations about Propeller Seeds - the more I play it, the more I want to hear it without the sound effects.

Its just matter of taking a listen to lets say tidal and then lifeline... BTW im not saying that lifeline is horrible and that i dont like it, i do, even if had meet immi with lifeline i would have got hooked im just saying that she definitely can do way better
emkappel
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
after seeing the Making of Ellipse DVD, I can see reason and a beautiful opportunity to make a three-year album. And you know what? as much as I disliked the idea at first, I really love it now.

It's given her opportunity to stretch and get into other musical endeavors, play festivals, work on the gloves, and probably just chance to live and love a little more.

I really like both Lifeline and Propeller Seeds. In the end, this is definitely not going to be the same kind of album we may expect. All of the songs so far have their very own separate identities: possibly more like a compilation with all the same heart.

Anyway, it's interesting to see everyone's opinion. people are always afraid of something new, though new isn't always a bad thing.

Rolling Eyes

Keep on soldiering on, I say!