Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  iCollaborations  ~  Do you think ''Must Be Dreaming'' is talking about Icarus?

Peter
Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:20 am Reply with quote
You know that Greek Mythology? It really does seem like it! But I'm still unsure, as always. The first verse seems like it:

"Pay close attention," Icarus's Dad is giving all the pre-cautions about flying.
"Don't listen to me for now," That's when Icarus isn't listening and is too excited to even listen.
"George'll be flying this one," Well.. I'm not sure who George is, but I'm guessing that is when his Dad is going to fly.
"And it's anyones guess how he does it." Not to sure either but something like "Who knows how he made those wings to actually work."

"It's right turn wrong universe," They finally get to escape from the Island and be free, but it turns to a wrong ending because of Icarus's soon-to-be-tragic fate.
"It's taking me in full bloom," Unsure about this but I think this is when Icarus is so into it when he's flying, which leads closer to his tragic ending.
"Fireball careful with that there," The 'fireball' is the sun, and Icarus isn't being careful.
"See what you made me do?" The sun melted Icarus's wings and he falls down into the ocean.

I'm not to sure but I really do think it is about Icarus! Smile What do you guys think?

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
its a possibility, i always thought its about immi thinking shes either dreaming or falling in love...

I must be dreaming or were on to something: as in she likes the feeling (like a dream), but if it's not a dream: they're on to something

that "something" being a connection/spark/chemistry between her and this person....

that's my take, i like the story of icarus though, see you've given it some thought....

Damned Ladies of Orpheus...

Why don't you ladies believe me when I'm screaming, I always believed you....

Rufus Wainwright - Damned Ladies
Peter
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote
VERY OLD, but I want to share my interpretation of this song. Well, the chorus as well as the second verse is also Icarus-relative, I hope everyone takes a look!

Chorus:
"I must be dreaming or," Icarus and his father thinks "I must be dreaming," because they are actually flying with hand-crafted wings, and they are actually escaping from the island they were trapped in.
"We're on to something." They believe that they are finally given the chance and motive to create the plan to escape, they were on to something, and that was the wings created by Icarus's Father.
"I must be dreaming for," Same as stated earlier.
"I don't fall in love lawlessly." His father is the only one that survives during the flight, because he did not get too in love with flying and he stuck to the laws to fly only in mid-air, not to close to the ocean, but not to high up in the sky, where the sun can scorch/melt off the wings. He didn't fall in love lawlessly, as opposed to Icarus.
"I must be dreaming or," Same as stated earlier.
"Pinch me to waking." Icarus believes, 'This can't be happening, we're actually flying, pinch me for a reality check that I am actually doing this and I'm not just dreaming!'
"So undenieably yours, " Icarus is without a doubt, the father's one and only son, that is until...
"As long as I'm losing it so completely." He lost it all completely out of proportion, flying to high into the sky and his wings fell off because of that, now the father has no son.

Second Verse:
"Incendiary Glance," The Sun's deadly rays, just one look and it can blind you, but in this situation, the sun's heat can melt anything with just one stare: Icarus's wings.
"Become and Collide in Me," The Sun wants Icarus to come into it so the wings will melt and fall off to Icarus's death; their collision, with Icarus's wings and the Sun's rays.
"Zoom In, Enhance," This is where the Sun makes its move, as if using a deadly rifle, zooming in, and then enhance for perfect aim to melt Icarus's wings off.
"Hold while I go helplessly," This is where the Sun successfully melts the wings off of Icarus, and he goes, falling helplessly, out of his father's reach and control to rescue him, he has no choice but to keep flying, letting his son fall to his death.
"Sky High," .. The Sky
"Magic Eye," The Sun
"Sugar rushing," The Adrenaline of flying (particularly Icarus's)
"Don't Stop!"

Phew! That was quite some work, I really hope you guys read this and can relate to what I'm trying to point out!

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:50 am Reply with quote
I never thought of it like that, i like your take on it, gives me interesting images Very Happy. When i heard it i took it as something is unbelievable and she isnt sure to trust it or not. Being love or something. Through the song she is sort of giving in to this overwhelming feeling of bliss and joy of this possibility. But like i said i am glad you shared your thoughts i like it Very Happy I can see a little kid looking off out a window and his father trying to get him to pay attention. And then goes to him falling and this ride of emotions as he is falling. Then going to him flying over the ocean and into the sky. Much more but very neat Smile.
juliannarox
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
do you realise how clever that explanation is? gosh i couldnt even think of anything as good as that! i believe your explanation could be correct, its smart (like Immi), creative (like Immi) and unusual (like Immi).

thats the best explanation ive ever seen! Wink
imi339
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I really like this explanation! Very clever! Very Happy
BlackHearts09
Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow. How did you guys even come UP with this connection??? It's oddly fitting. Very Happy That gives me a whole new impression of the song.